Copenhagen's New Year's Eve partying traditionally begins shortly after 6 p.m. following the Queen's annual speech. That's your cue to grab your honey and experience the romantic side of the Danish capital city's celebration.
Tivoli for Two
Tivoli Gardens' twinkling lights and extravagant New Year's Eve fireworks -- which are set off at 11 p.m. -- create a romantic setting for welcoming in the year with your sweetie. The world's second-oldest theme park, its creation was inspired by Europe's romantic pleasure gardens. Tivoli's rides include the world's highest chain carousel and thrilling roller coasters. Stroll through the shops and soak in the fairy tale charm of Tivoli's dramatically-lit eclectic vintage buildings. (Resource 8) Book an intimate dinner for two at a romantic Tivoli restaurant, most of which stay open on New Year's Eve. Situated in a replica fishing house and reflecting Tivoli charm, Faergekroen is a cozy restaurant along the lake serving Danish dishes and their own brews. Mazzolis restaurant features authentic Italian classics ranging from pizza and pasta to seafood. If you're on a tight budget, pack a picnic to share.
Two on the Town
Copenhagen nightlife hits its partying peak on New Year's Eve. Couples who love clubbing find inspiration at ZEN. Classy, sleek and sexy, the exclusive club pulls out all the stops to ring in the new year. ZEN attire requires suits and dresses and attracts Copenhagen's beautiful people. Expect a bash with live performances and Champagne to be served at midnight to toast your honey. For a quieter evening, catch a movie at Empire or Falkoner cinema, where single seats are replaced by "love seats" situated in the back rows, allowing couples to snuggle up through the show.
Holiday Hotel Packages
Feel like a king and queen for the night at the opulent Louis XVI-styled Hotel Phoenix and celebrate New Year's in the lap of luxury. Spend the evening at the hotel's on-site restaurant and bar and enjoy the complimentary New Year's Day breakfast buffet. Hotel Opera offers more modest rooms, but is big on New Year's perks. Champagne and marzipan treats will be waiting for you. There's a late check-out on New Year's Day, so you can linger in your room before enjoying the New Year's Day breakfast buffet that's included with your room charge.
Party on the Squares
If you're a couple big on parties but short on cash, join the Danes for New Year's Eve street celebrations. Before you pucker up for that New Year's kiss, head with your sweetheart to Amalienborg Square, the site of the Royal Palace, to watch the Royal Guard parade. Then, gather with the thousands of locals celebrating at City Square. When the City Hall clock tower marks midnight, the crowd goes wild and dazzling fireworks explode into the the skies to honor the start of the new year.
View Singles Near You
- Tivoli: New Year's Eve at Tivoli
- The Danish Monarchy: The Queen's New Year Address
- VisitDenmark: Tivoli Gardens
- Wonderful Copenhagen: Restaurant Faergekroen Bryghus
- Visit Denmark: Fall in Love with Copenhagen
- Zen: New Year's Eve at ZEN Copenhagen. World's Finest Club
- Hotel Opera: Celebrate New Year's in Copenhagen and Spend the Night at Hotel Opera
- Hotel Phoenix Copenhagen: Happy New Year
- iExplore: Denmark Travel Guide
- Xinhua: Danes Cheer in the New Year in Copenhagen
- VisitDenmark: New Year's Eve in Copenhagen
- The Local Europe AB: How to Celebrate New Year's Eve Like a Dane
- Wonderful Copenhagen: The Ice Rink at Fredericksberg Runddel
- Wonderful Copenhagen: Tivoli Gardens
- Lonely Planet: Tivoli Gardens
- Library of Congress: The Tivoli Park Entrance, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Visit Denmark: Let Loose at World-Famous Tivoli Gardens!
- Copenhagen.com: Tivoli Gardens
- The World's Finest Clubs: Clubs
- Amy rose Van kanan/Hemera/Getty Images