For online dating, a person's profile is the equivalent of an introduction. Most online dating sites require at least a minimal profile before allowing people to participate. A good profile can mean the difference between receiving many promising responses or none. While each profile is unique, there are common factors involved in setting up a dating profile that will attract attention from potential dating partners.
Choose a user name and header for your profile. Use creativity to select a user name and header that reflect your personality and stand out from the crowd. Try to avoid cliches or overly suggestive choices.
Answer required profile questions. Complete any questionnaires as completely as possible. Be truthful in describing yourself and as open as possible in stating your requirements for potential matches.
Be honest about your appearance, age and weight. If you don't want to reveal your exact age, indicate an age range. If an exact date is required, use a date that indicates an extremely old age, although doing so will screen you out of most age-related searches.
Draft the personal essay for your profile. Include a brief description of yourself, your work and your hobbies. Indicate your likes and dislikes, as well as a description of the type of person and relationship you are seeking.
Post at least one photo. If you only post one photo, it should be a clear shot of your face. A second, full length photo is a good choice. Photos should be dated within the last 6 months or the past year at the most. Do not include photos with other people who could appear to be romantic mates or of children unless they are yours.
Proofread your essay. Check for spelling and grammar errors. Have a friend read it over and provide a critique. Use proper punctuation and spell out words rather than using abbreviations more appropriate for texting.
View Singles Near You
- If you don't post a photo, provide a detailed description and indicate that you have photos available to share.
- Keep your profile positive and upbeat while remaining honest. Stating that you are divorced is OK. Stating that your ex cleaned you out in the divorce is not.
- Change your dating profile header often. That is one way of keeping your profile fresh. The newest and most recently revised profiles are often included at the top of a search.
- Do not post sexually provocative photos unless your profile is for an adult or alternative dating site.
- Avoid lengthy lists of requirements for potential dates. This can be potentially off-putting, even to to individuals who meet all your requirements.