A bedroom should be a place that you can get a way from the hectic environment of the outside world and rejuvenate. Many people neglect the bedroom, but if you make the bedroom organized and clean it will be calm and relaxing. No matter what your budget, you can easily create a romantic retreat that you and your mate can enjoy with just a weekend of work and few well-placed décor items.
Paint your bedroom a relaxing color. Stick to pale or pastel colors such as dusty pink, Wedgwood blue or soft green. Paint existing furniture in white or a coordinating pastel tone.
Choose soft fabrics like velvet and faux fur, and be sure to splurge on high-thread-count sheets when selecting bedding, recommends HGTV. Use plenty of throw pillows to create a plush, comfortable bed.
Hang heavy window treatments that can block light and muffle street noises--so the mood won't be interrupted.
Add fragrance and a source of soft lighting to the room by placing scented candles. Group them together in several different areas of the room
Put all of the lamps and lighting fixture on a dimmer switch so that you can lower the lights at any time. Use tinted bulbs in pink, peach or gold to create a romantic ambiance.
Create a mini bar by installing a small refrigerator stocked with a couple of wine glasses.
Place a CD player and a variety of CDs in your room so you will have a source for playing romantic music.
Add decorative accessories such as fresh flowers, plants, mirrors and perfume bottles.
Things You Will Need
- Window treatments
- Light bulbs
- Dimmer switch
- Mini refrigerator
- CD player
- Decorative accessories
- If you prefer shabby chic romantic décor, introduce floral patterns in the form of wallpaper. Use a large floral print as an accent to avoid overwhelming the room. You can use a small print all over.
- If you are in the market for new bedroom furniture, choose pine for a country feel or wrought iron to give an old-fashioned romantic look.
- Consider adding a freestanding gas- or electric-operated fireplace to your room. The light and warmth can create a setting for enjoying a romantic glass of wine with your significant other.
- Do not add too many decorative accessories. It can create clutter, which kills romance.
- Do not use bright red or vibrant yellow or orange. They increase energy levels and may be too stimulating for the bedrooms.
- Be careful when choosing blue for the walls, if you choose a cool shade, it can make the room feel unpleasant.