Paint your bedroom a relaxing color. Stick to pale or pastel colors such as dusty pink, Wedgwood blue or soft green. Paint existing furniture in white or a coordinating pastel tone.
Choose soft fabrics like velvet and faux fur, and be sure to splurge on high-thread-count sheets when selecting bedding, recommends HGTV. Use plenty of throw pillows to create a plush, comfortable bed.
Hang heavy window treatments that can block light and muffle street noises--so the mood won't be interrupted.
Add fragrance and a source of soft lighting to the room by placing scented candles. Group them together in several different areas of the room
Put all of the lamps and lighting fixture on a dimmer switch so that you can lower the lights at any time. Use tinted bulbs in pink, peach or gold to create a romantic ambiance.
Create a mini bar by installing a small refrigerator stocked with a couple of wine glasses.
Place a CD player and a variety of CDs in your room so you will have a source for playing romantic music.
Add decorative accessories such as fresh flowers, plants, mirrors and perfume bottles.
Things You Will Need
- Window treatments
- Light bulbs
- Dimmer switch
- Mini refrigerator
- CD player
- Decorative accessories
- If you prefer shabby chic romantic décor, introduce floral patterns in the form of wallpaper. Use a large floral print as an accent to avoid overwhelming the room. You can use a small print all over.
- If you are in the market for new bedroom furniture, choose pine for a country feel or wrought iron to give an old-fashioned romantic look.
- Consider adding a freestanding gas- or electric-operated fireplace to your room. The light and warmth can create a setting for enjoying a romantic glass of wine with your significant other.
- Do not add too many decorative accessories. It can create clutter, which kills romance.
- Do not use bright red or vibrant yellow or orange. They increase energy levels and may be too stimulating for the bedrooms.
- Be careful when choosing blue for the walls, if you choose a cool shade, it can make the room feel unpleasant.